How to discover the critical vulnerabilities in thick client application in the within budget?
Thick client applications are more complicated and customized as compared to web or mobile applications, this makes the vulnerability assessment and penetration testing approach for thick client applications very different. A very specific approach in testing these applications is followed after understanding application in terms of technologies used, functionality, behavior, and entry points for user inputs, core security mechanisms used by the application, languages and frameworks.
SecureLayer7’s thick client application testing approach begins with understanding the full functionality of the application. We navigate through all the UI elements with multiple users as each user might have different permissions, unique functionalities. A hybrid testing methodology, use of automated tools and manual testing ensures a comprehensive coverage and reduced number of false positives in the application.
Find our Cybersecurity Service reviews on Gartner
We have passion for securing Digital Businesses of our customers to make sure they are secure from critical vulnerabilities.
After using SL7 in a previous company, we contracted with them for Vulnerability Assessment for all of our various product lines, from consumer to enterprise. The results have been awesome- Chief Security Architect in the Services Industry
It offers incomparable accuracy since it is reinforced by unproved scanning and advanced network host correlation technology. The organizations are confident that their remediation exertions are closely focused.- Cyber Security Consultant in the Services Industry
SecureLayer7's team went deep down into the rabbit hole to understand the product and find an issue with a business logic rule that took engineering several weeks to analyze within the code.- Security Officer in the Healthcare Industry
Operations Insights from 2020
Our customers from US, Middle East, India
Annual Customer Pentest Hours
Highest Ticket Size
From Enterprise Customer
We belive serving best to all customers
Thick Client Penetration Testing Methodology
A holistic approach to perform thick client penetration test that not only discovers security vulnerabilities, but also finding business logic vulnerabilties along with security checklists based on industry standards, including OWASP Top Ten, PCI Compliance, and NIST 800-53.
Thick Client Application Test Cases
OWASP top ten vulnerability standard followed to find vulnerabilities along with SecureLayer7 test cases for the thick client penetration testing.
- Hardcoded sensitive data and authentication tokens (passwords, private keys, etc.)
- Use of insecure encryption and hashing algorithms
- Application service, provider, WMI subscription, task, and other permissions
- Assembly compilation security flags
- Application file, folder, and registry permissions
- Protection of data in transit
- Database and server configurations
- Database user roles and permissions
- Service account roles and permissions (client, application server, database server
- Web Services utilized by the application using sl7 web application testing methodology
- Hardcoded encryption material (keys, IVs, etc.)
- Application user roles and permissions
- Application workflow logic between GUI elements
- Database connections
- Registry changes including creation, deletion, and modification of keys and values
- Application objects and information stored in memory during runtime
- Use of insecure encryption and hashing algorithms
- File system changes including file and folder creation, deletion, and modification
- Network protocols utilized by the application (SMB, FTP, TFTP, etc.)
- Authentication and authorization controls enforced on the client and server
Industry Recognitions we have earned
Securelayer7 regularly uncovers Zero Day vulnerabilities within a wide range of applications amidst research. We cooperatively work alongside vendors to catch up with the issues and disclose the needed prudently.
Take a look at SecureLayer7's Security Vulnerability publications and know more about the vulnerability disclosures, advisories, and reports. It details the security gaps identified in the web application, thick client software and also firmware’s of large enterprises. The documentation also contains the mitigation fixes for the vulnerabilities, their description, moreover the proof of concepts and security exposure information from SecureLayer7.
Research Presented at Conferences
Securelayer7 Thick Client Application solutions focus on the overall structure, business logic and data management system of your thick client application. Client reports follow the same phillosophy and approch to prioritize useful deliverables in all client reports, including:
- Executive Summary
- Scope of the Work
- Approach and Methodology
- OWASP Top 10 Summary
- Summary of Key Findings/ Identification of Vulnerability
- Graphical Representation of Vulnerabilities
- Summary of Recommendations
- Application Detailed Findings
- General Comments and Security Advice Conclusion
Advantages with SecureLayer7
Benefits of an Thick Client Application penetration testing performed by SecureLayer7 include
Meet Our Security Experts
FAQ’s for Thick Client Penetration Testing
- DLL Hijacking Vulnerability
- Exploiting Files Bundled with the Thick Client Application
- Weak Graphical User Interface
- Memory dump
- OWASP Top 10
SecureLayer7 is accredited with CERT-in and ISO 27001 certifications. CERT-in enables us to certify and perform security audits for Government agencies and BFSI customers. SecureLayer7 provides testing and reporting to support application security compliance against PCI, HIPAA, SOC type 1 and type 2, and other regulatory requirements. Customized scanning reporting templates that support internal standards and other regulatory requirements are covered by SecureLayer7.